Returning Member Login
Mary Ella’s Weekly Message
August 29, 2011
Back to the Basics of FFS Online
In the next couple of weeks, schools across the United States will once again open their doors for the start of a new school year. Think of the kids starting school for the first time this fall. Most of them are excited that they are old enough to go to school, and they are looking forward to their new adventures. I’m reminded of that great poem by Robert Fulghum, “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.” Some years ago I wrote my own version, “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in FFS Online” and it seems appropriate at this time of year to share it again:
- When I need support, it’s there for me on the Message Boards.
- Following the ‘rules’ is good for me.
- It’s easier to give support than to receive it.
- When I have confidence in myself, I can overcome anything.
- Drinking water is very good for me.
- There are a lot of resources to help control my weight.
- There’s no such thing as having “just one.”
- Posting my feelings and thoughts on the Message Boards helps me to feel better.
- Becoming smokefree saves a lot of money.
- No matter how old I am, it’s never too late to become smokefree.
- Success is up to me.
- Cravings pass with time and I can get through them.
- Planning ahead helps me to avoid slips.
- Saying things out loud such as “I can do it!” makes me feel stronger.
- It’s OK to disagree agreeably.
- Physical activity can be fun.
- Giving myself rewards helps to reinforce my commitment to stay smokefree.
- Change is good.
- By becoming smoke free I can inspire others to do the same.
Getting back to the basics of FFS Online is what this poem is all about. This week, take some time to get back to those basics:
Follow the 3 “rules” of the program:
- Read all the lessons in all the Modules. You only cheat yourself by rushing through the program.
- Do all of the suggested activities, ALL of them, even the ones that seem silly to you.
- Give and receive support on the Message Boards. Participate, don’t just lurk.
Remember the 4 D’s:
- Delay, don’t give in to your urges.
- Drink lots of water.
- Deep breathe—download the relaxation exercises.
- Do something else when you get an urge—a change of activity will help distract you.
Think of these basics as the foundation of that new, smokefree life you’re building. What are you going to do this week to make that foundation as solid as possible? Post about it on the Message Boards.
I’ll see you on the Message Boards! :-) Mary Ella
Don’t forget: If you're in the Premium program and want help fast on the Message Boards, put "HELP NOW" in the subject line of your post. If you're looking to offer help, watch for those, "HELP NOW" posts and alert your other FFS Online buddies to offer some assistance as well.