Returning Member Login
Mary Ella’s Weekly Message
September 3, 2012
Everything I Know I Learned in FFS Online
All across the United States, school is starting. Remember your first day of school? Was it full of the anticipation of finally being a big kid? Were you nervous about being with new people and doing new things? There is usually at least a little anxiety when we start new endeavors—you may have felt uneasy when you first joined FFS Online. Hopefully, you were excited to start your new, smokefree life as well.
Every September, we run a "classic" FFS Online Message. It's classic because most of us can relate to the school calendar and the poem by Robert Fulghum, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" fits so well with the program. Some years ago, I took Mr. Fulghum's lead and wrote my own version, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in FFS Online." Sit back and enjoy this classic again and perhaps picture me reading it to you as you sip a glass of milk and eat a low-fat chocolate chip cookie. :-)
- When I need support, it's there for me on the Message Boards.
- Following the 'rules' is good for me.
- It's easier to give support than to receive it.
- When I have confidence in myself, I can overcome anything.
- Drinking water is very good for me.
- There are a lot of resources to help control my weight.
- There's no such thing as having "just one."
- Posting my feelings and thoughts on the Message Boards helps me to feel better.
- Becoming smokefree saves a lot of money.
- No matter how old I am, it's never too late to become smokefree.
- Success is up to me.
- Cravings pass with time and I can get through them.
- Planning ahead helps me to avoid slips.
- Saying things out loud such as "I can do it!" makes me feel stronger.
- It's OK to disagree agreeably.
- Physical activity can be fun.
- Giving myself rewards helps reinforce my commitment to stay smokefree.
- Change is good.
- By becoming smokefree, I can inspire others to do the same.
This week, take some time to get back to the basics just like all those children will be doing as they enter school:
Follow the 3 "rules" of the program:
- Read all the lessons in all the Modules. You only cheat yourself by rushing through the program.
- Do all of the suggested activities, ALL of them, even the ones that seem silly to you.
- Give and receive support on the Message Boards. Participate, don't just lurk.
Think of these rules as the foundation of that new smokefree life you're building. What are you going to do this week to make your foundation as solid as possible? Post about it on the Message Boards.
I’ll see you on the Message Boards! :-) Mary Ella
Don’t forget: If you're in the Premium program and want help fast on the Message Boards, put "HELP NOW" in the subject line of your post. If you're looking to offer help, watch for those, "HELP NOW" posts and alert your other FFS Online buddies to offer some assistance as well.