Returning Member Login
Mary Ella’s Weekly Message
February 6, 2012
FFS Online Anniversary, Helping a Friend Quit
On Valentine's Day, Freedom From Smoking® Online will celebrate its 12th anniversary! Since the FFS Online website launched in 2000, more than 250,000 people from around the world have entered the virtual doors to start their smokefree journeys and embrace freedom from nicotine. Not only are we celebrating the FFS Online program, we are celebrating that you are part of it!
One of the most important keys to success in quitting is support. If quitting is like taking a car trip, then quitting with support is like having GPS to help you avoid road construction and traffic jams along the way. How can you help a friend quit smoking? Here are some tips to consider:
- Not everyone's journey is the same. Even though you may have quit with a particular medication, that doesn't mean everyone should use the same medication to reach their smokefree destination. As you talk with others about what worked, remember to frame your advice as what worked for you.
- Ask your friend how you can be most helpful to him or her.
- Be positive! Tell your friend that you believe in him or her. Remind your friend that thousands of people have quit smoking and he or she can, too!
- Offer to talk with your friend whenever needed, especially during the first few weeks of being smokefree. Ask your friend how they're feeling, not only if they're still smokefree. Remember that nagging, scolding and preaching don't work. Tell your friend how much you admire his/her strength and commitment.
- Praise your friend for getting through the rough spots. Some simple ways to show your support include sending a card to let your friend know that you care or buying a book of puzzles to help keep his/her hands busy.
- Remind your friend that an urge to smoke will pass in three to five minutes, whether he or she smokes or not.
- Offer to do some physical activity with your friend: take a walk, ride bikes, go bowling or dancing.
- Share your best low-calorie recipes with your friend. Encourage him or her to reach for healthy snacks when the urge to eat strikes.
- Print and share the benefits of quitting with your friend. Some benefits show up almost immediately!
- Show your friend how to breathe deeply. Encourage your friend to take deep breaths and count to ten (or a hundred) when stressed out.
- Invite your friend to join FFS Online, and be sure to share the number to the Lung HelpLine, 1-800-LUNG USA (586-4872) where your friend can receive free counseling from an expert.
What could be a better way to show your love for friends than by supporting them in their smokefree journeys? This Valentine's Day, show the love on the Message Boards for all who have helped to support you through the quitting process. And thanks for being a part of Freedom From Smoking® Online!
I’ll see you on the Message Boards! :-) Mary Ella
Don’t forget: If you're in the Premium program and want help fast on the Message Boards, put "HELP NOW" in the subject line of your post. If you're looking to offer help, watch for those, "HELP NOW" posts and alert your other FFS Online buddies to offer some assistance as well.